Developer productivity for NAV
Prism for C/AL is our analysis tool and code browser for Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
Rich code browsing experience
Flexible options for opening a solution
Once you have installed Prism for C/AL, all you need to browse and analyse a solution is text objects. Prism offers a wide range of options for opening a solution:
Open File Store
Opens a single
.txt file exported with C/SIDE.
Open Mirror Store
Opens a store mirrored by Prism from a NAV server.
Open Directory Store
Opens any directory of NAV objects exported as text (e.g. a version control workspace.)
Open Prism Store
Opens a directory of NAV text objects structured in Prism's own layout.
Mirror your solutions to save time
Configure Prism mirrors for your solutions, so you are ready to analyze your code at any time.
- Continuously mirrors changes in server's objects.
- Automatic handling of unlicensed objects.
- Navigate to object in C/SIDE.
- Visual clue when objects have changed since opening a mirror.
- Reload mirror when objects have changed.
Find objects and their dependencies
Quickly locate objects with flexible object filtering. Initiate object level functionality or view an object's inbound and outbound dependencies to gain a better understanding of the objects role.
What are you looking for?
Locate code of interest directly by searching procedures and fields by their name. Or find a specific line of code. If you are given an error message by a customer, use text constant search to find where the error originates.
Rich code browsing experience
View it all—at a glance!
Structure, colours, tooltips and links speed up code reading. Prism shows all the code—immediately. No need to open multiple windows to view field triggers or table relation details. Everything is linked, so you can navigate back and forth. Declaration identifiers have context menus (e.g. "Find usages") and identifiers that reference a declaration have rich tooltips and are linked to the declaration.
Find your way in the current object
Outlines the current object for overview and navigation purposes. Use wildcard filter to restrict to what you are looking for.
- Outlines current object contents.
- Filter by name or number (supports wild-cards, number ranges and
- For fields, trailing 𝑓 indicates flow field.
- Click to navigate.
- Right-click to find usages.
- Local procedures are grey.
Browse and analyse in Prism—edit in C/SIDE
Open objects in C/SIDE directly from Prism for C/AL for any objects in a mirror store. This enables a view-in-Prism-edit-in-C/SIDE way of working.
- Available for mirror stores.
- (Optional) In Prism, copy a line of code.
- In Prism, click Design Object.
- (Optional) In C/SIDE, search for the line of code.
- In C/SIDE, edit and save the object.
- In Prism, reload the store to reflect changes.
Find usages to gain detailed insight
Find usages of declarations (objects, procedures, fields, keys, variables etc) across your whole solution. Save time with filters: Find out where a field is assigned a value.
How did we get this data into the database?
Find system function usages allows you to quickly answer questions like the one above.
Select which instance methods you search for. For table functions like
Insert, save time by narrowing the result to
Find events fit for your purpose
Good practice when developing for NAV 2016+ is to subscribe to existing business and integration events instead of changing code directly in the base application. Use Procedure search to find events and use Find usages make sure you understand exactly when and how the event is raised.
Explore your data model visually
Understanding the data model is crucial for efficient C/AL development. With approximately 1200 tables in Microsoft's base application alone, presenting the full data model in one diagram in not an option. Instead, Prism for C/AL lets you explore the data model gradually.
- Right-click the start table
- Immediate in- and outbound table relations are shown
- Navigate to objects and table relation definitions
- Expand diagram by exploring in- and outbound relations